One Arm Dumbbell Row is an exercise for Middle Back. It is also knowns as Dumbbell Row, Chest-supported Row, Single Arm Row, Single-Arm Row, One Arm Dumbbell Row, One Arm Bent Over Row. It is a strength-based exercise. Middle back is the main muscle for which we do this exercise. We need One Dumbbell for this as the name suggests. It is a beginner level exercise can be done by any person who has just started going to GYM. The exercise need only Pull force to Pull the dumbbell from downwards to upwards as you can see the perfect form in below image.
How to do One Arm Dumbbell Row:
- Get a flat bench and place one dumbbell on each side. You can use one as well.
- You can start with any side left or right.
- Place your left leg till the middle of the bench as shown in the above pic, make your upper body parallel to floor from the waist.
- Then place you left hand to end of the bench.
- Pick the dumbbell with right hand and hold it off the floor.
- Hold the dumbbell and keep your waist straight.
- The palm of the hand you picked dumbbell will be towards your torso.
- Now you have your starting position.
- Pull the weight up closer to your chest side and keep your arm near to chest and keeping your torso and waist straight.
- Breathe in while pulling and breathe out while leaving the dumbbell.
- Tip: Use your back force to pull the dumbbell not the arm force.
- Do the 10-15 reps with 2 sets of each side.
- Switch sides and repeat with another arm.
Muscles used in One arm dumbbell row:
With the Middle back mainly, Biceps, Lats & Shoulders muscles are also worked out in this exercise.
One Arm Dumbbell Row for Men & Women:
Single Arm DB Row exercise is both for Men & Women. As this is a beginner level exercise so any men & women can do it easily. You just need to follow the exercise guide in proper form.
One Arm DB Row alternative:
Although this is a middle back exercise but there is another middle back exercises as well which you can do instead of One arm DB row. There are 7 Alternatives of this exercise.
- T-Bar Row with Handle
- Pendlay Rown
- Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows
- One-Arm Dumbbell Row
- One-Arm Long Bar Row
- Bent Over One-Arm Long Bar Row
- Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row With Palms In
Bent Over One-Arm Long Bar Row:
Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row With Palms In:
Benefits of One Arm Dumbbell:
This exercise helps you to get the best back. If you want to come in V-Shape then this exercise is the one which needs to do. This is the exercise which works on your entire back from the upper back to lower back. With that, it also helps you strengthen the triceps, biceps and definitely the back.
How much weight for One Arm Dumbbell Row?
If you are a beginner in the GYM then you can start with 10 lbs or 5 kg weight but if have already doing the GYM and doing this exercise for the first time then you can start with 20lbs or 10 kg weight.
There are two variations we can use for One Arm Dumbbell Row – High Pulley cable row & Low Pulley cable rows instead of Dumbbells.
One Arm High Pulley cable row:
One Arm Low Pulley cable row:
One Arm Dumbbell Row Standing:
This exercise is for upper back. You need One Dumbbell and a bench, The above One Arm Dumbbell row is bent over exercise but this one is in standing position.
Free Standing Dumbbell Row:
This is the advanced version of One Arm Dumbbell row after bent over, & Standing. You don’t need a bench for this as this is free standing. Keep you One hand on Knee and do the same pull with other hand.
This is another form of One Arm Dumbbells row. In this exercise, you just put One hand on near corner of the bench to you. Hold the Dumbbell with palm facing towards you as seen in the below image.
In this exercise, you need to full bench not just the corner like in above pic. Hold the Dumbbell like your palm facing away from you.